Gynecomastia Treatment – Published document based on over 5000 treated patients
Background information about Moobs
Moobs, alternatively known as Man Boobs and medically known as Gynecomastia, is very common in men. It is estimated that approximately 50% to 70% of the male population has palpable breast tissue. This information pack focuses on a previously published medical document that obsereves over 5000 patients treated for gynaecomastia, between the years 1980 and 2014. Methods of gynaecomastia removal were based on surgical excision, liposuction, or a combination of both The ideal male chest should be flat with the pectoralis muscle being the area of focus. In the case of Moobs, the male breasts have a pyramid like shape with unfortunate feminine features. Healthy men typically have predominantly tissue differences which distinctly different male breast from women’s breasts.
What is Gynecomastia?
Gynecomastia is triggered by a decrease in the amount of the hormone testosterone compared with estrogen. The cause of this decrease can be conditions that block the effects of or reduce testosterone or a condition that increases your estrogen level. Several things can upset the hormone balance, including the following;
- Natural hormone changes
- Medications Street drugs and alcohol
- Health conditions such as;
Common patient demographic
Approximately 32% of gynecomastia patients treated were bodybuilders or lean patients who underwent glandular excision only . This leaves a remaining 68% of patients whom undergo gynaecomastia procedure due to reasons related to excessive weight. The average age of these patients tends to range from 18 to 70 years. Most patients are on the younger end of the scale, the average age is around mid-20’s to early 30’s .
Where is the breast tissue?
The breast tissue is typically located just behind the nipple as highlighted below. Patients that are overweight can have more tissue compared to the image below. This is further explained on the next page with the image “types of gynecomastia”.
For patients whom have excessive fat tissue, liposuction-assisted tissue removal is a common method for removal. If patients are quite lean, for example body builders, liposuction is often not required. In this scenario surgical excision of the actual breast tissue is required. There are many situations where both breast and fatty tissue removal is required, this involves a combination of liposuction and surgical excision.
What is liposuction?
Liposuction is the removal of the fat cells from undesired areas of our body. It is best to think about our fatty areas as cell containers rather than the fat only. The fat cells get bigger and smaller as we gain and lose weight. When we have a problem, we have too many fat cell containers in one area. eg. love handles, thighs, tummy. Diet and exercise help by making the cells smaller but they are always there. Liposuction removes these excess cells to give a more pleasing shape. We can still make and lose fat but we can’t store it in those cells because they have been permanently removed. Liposuction changes difficult shapes and sculptures the areas we are unhappy with but it does not cure weight problems. Healthy diet and exercise remain important.
In all cases, scar formation tends to be minimal and barely noticeable. The patients undergoing breast tissue removal procedure were provided with postoperative instructions to maintain light activity with restricted range of motion of the shoulders for the first week. Excessive movement of the pectoralis muscle is discouraged since it can lead to increased bleeding. Light motions and compression is the best way to manage this. Compression is typically applied as a dressing over the chest for approximately 1 week. Desk work is often allowed after 3 to 5 days and physical work can be restricted for up to 2 weeks. Specific chest related workout was requested to be held off for up to 3 weeks. To conclude, regular chest exercise regimen could be resumed after 4 to 6 weeks.
Over the past 13 years since this procedure has been performed, many patients have been followed up to identify patient satisfaction. Minimum follow-up occurred for 1 year post treatment and most common duration was 5 years. Despite the varying methods to remove fatty tissue, either via liposuction, excision or both, patients were happy with the results of the treatment. The degree of tissue size and patient body shape varied significantly, findings have been consistent in relation to patient satisfaction of final results.